January 19, 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

The second Sherlock film is better than the first one even though I do like it. This film has Moriaty and the more importantly it has Stephen Fry in it. The story follows the same sort of format as the first but what we have is the infamous Moriaty. I have to be honest and say that I'm not a massive fan of this character because I just think that the character is slightly unmenacing. However this doesn’t detract from one of the best scenes in the film where Moriaty and Holmes are playing Chess whilst all the action is going on before both going over the balcony. Considering I had just seen the same thing on TV, I felt that Richie did a better job.

Robert Downey Jr continues to be very good as Sherlock. I still cant figure out who is better, Downey or Benedict Cumberbatch. Whilst I try and figure that one out everytime that he is on screen the film is exciting. Jude Law is a curious individual. I still don’t rate him highly as an actor but as Watson he is tolerable but I think he is the weaker one out of the pair.

Another Guy Richie film that is quite good is not something that I would expect to say. My friends don’t think that this is better than the first but I completely disagree. I hope that there is a third one because there is potential for this to turn out to be a very good franchise.

No comments: