January 17, 2012

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

As I get ready to watch the second Sherlock Holmes film, I thought now would be the best time to watch the first film. I was quite worried that a film by Guy Richie would descend into guys and geezer stuff like most of the drivel he has directed over the years. I also was worried with Jude Law because I find him rather annoying and find him a bit soppy. I'm also not a massive fan of Robert Downey Jr so this film has all the trappings of a terrible film.

To be honest, this film is actually quite good. Visually it beautiful as several scenes of London are on show including the scenes on the unbuilt Tower Bridge. The theme of the film was dealing with an apparent man who could not die (Strong) but it was all a set up. Downey Jr was very good as Holmes and compared to Benedict Cumberbatch he isnt as good as the TV version but still good. Law is bearable in this film but to be honest I think he is so wet that it takes a lot to get me to like him but I was perfectly happy to watch him in this.

Sherlock Holmes is a very good film and Guy Richie has directed a very good film that moves along at a fast pace, has a good story and also looks fantastic. SH2 is out now and I am looking forward to see it.

No comments: