January 21, 2012

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

It’s A Wonderful Life is considered to be one of the greatest films. It didn’t do well at the box office at the time but as it usually turns out, just because it didn’t do well at the box office doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a greater life on VHS or DVD. This is the earliest film in the ’52 in 2012’ list but whilst others are wax lyrical about it, I have to admit that I’m not so hot on it. The main problem for me is that they spend way too long getting to the part where Bailey (Stewart) is about to commit suicide. I also think that it doesn’t try hard enough to convince Bailey he has a purpose and no sooner has he seen this part of the world then he realises his mistake and comes back. On the plus side I did find that moment when he comes back to the end of the film and several other scenes to be very interesting and I cant deny that I found him touching. Despite being a few weeks past Christmas, it still struck a cord.

I haven’t seen many films with James Stewart in but I thought he was the best thing about this. He steals several scenes and does a good job in showing us what a nice character Bailey is. I also thought that Donna Reed was a suitable leading lady, just doing enough to be noticeable but not in the way of Stewart.

It’s A Wonderful Life is a good film. I wouldn’t say it’s the greatest film ever but there are somethings in it that are impossible to dislike.

No comments: