February 16, 2013

Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010)


Scott Pilgrim vs the World is a film that was directed by Edgar Wright who was behind Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. This film doesn’t feature Simon Pegg or Nick Frost but does have computer games running through it like a stick of blackpool rock. The story sees Scott Pilgrim trying to go out with a girl but first he must defeat her seven exes. As plots go, this is one of the more interesting that I have seen for quite a while. The film opens up with what the Universal logo and theme would look like if they were on a Super Nintendo.
At first I struggled to like the guy playing Scott. I just found him to be a bit annoying and actually found Kieran Culkin to be the funniest thing in the entire movie. After a while I got use to Michael Cera’s performance and that’s the thing about this movie. After about 20-30 minutes I got use to the whole film and understood that this wasn’t going to a normal comedy. All the battles that Scott was involved in were all quite well done and highly entertaining.  After the first battle ended and the coins fell to the floor I did chuckle to myself and I think anyone who has ever played a computer game over the last thirty years or so will understand several gags that go on in this film. At 112 minutes, this film is just the right length. It doesn’t feel like there is a lot of padding but neither does it feel like its rushing which is a fine balance that Edgar Wright and the writers have got just right.

I do like this film though I’m not entirely sure why. There are plenty of things to like about it but I cant put hand on my heart and say that it’s the best film I’ve ever seen. 

No comments: