February 02, 2013

Robocop 2 (1990)


The second Robocop film follows the similar pattern to that of the first Robocop film and with a remake on the horizons, it’s time to see what the second instalment of this current trilogy has to offer. The film sees Robocop not only taking on the much bigger Robocop as well as taking on the makers of a new drug called Nuke. Robocop/Murphy is trying to connect with his wife who doesn’t seem to wild about the idea.

First of all Robocop is bluer than before, this is largely due to their being a new suit for Peter Weller to put on and move about in. This is distracting at first but after a while it just looks a bit silly and I think they should have stuck to the old colour. Despite some quite bloody scenes the film doesn’t seem to have the rough edges that the first one did. I think that having established the character and the rules of the character there didn’t seem a lot that they could do so it seemed at times like there was a lot of nothing happening.

Peter Weller does a good job of playing a robot. It doesn’t require him to do a great deal of acting but due to what acting he does do, it means that there is a certain desire to see Robocop come out on top. Nancy Allen puts in a perfectly fine performance which was a lot better than the first offering. The pair work well together and it seems a lot better that the first film.

I remember watching Robocop 2 when I was about 10 and there was one moment that I remember where the baddie machine squashes a brain. Well to my shock it wasn’t in there. The only brain that got smashed was the baddie one by Robocop.  I am sad that one of my few childhood memories has turned out to be wrong.  I didn’t warm to Robocop 2 as much as I did to the first one. It seemed slightly watered down to a certain extent. There were some moment which were quite fun but on the whole, I found this movie to be an enjoyable sequel.

No comments: