July 15, 2012

The Godfather (1972)

It’s an embarrassing admission but I had never seen the Godfather before tonight. I don’t know why but that’s been put right now. It’s regarded as one of the greatest films ever. The film famously has Marlon Brando in and it’s the second film in recent times that I have had to watch with subtitles because I couldn’t understand what Brando was saying. The story is 175 minutes long and it uses every one of those minutes to help construct a massive mafia family led by Marlon Brando and its nice to see the evolution of Michael from being the nice member of the family having been in action in World War 2 to become the head man. The thing that the film shows is there is very little in the way of happiness. There are members of the family that are killed and no one comes out of this film unscathed.
Marlon Brando is very good in this film but its Al Pacino who steals the film. As his gradual rise to power becomes more evident, Pacino continues to come across as the most normal member of the family. James Caan is also very good and is always a reliable and safe pair of hands. The performances of even the supporting cast were all very good and it was very much an ensemble piece and it’s needed because a just under 3 hours it would be a stretch to keep a small band of people in a story which keeps the audience’s attention. Francis Ford Coppola has done a great job in keeping the pace going and not losing his nerve by having a massive action sequence but just keeping it calm and letting the acting shine.
I wouldn’t say that I think this is the greatest movie ever made but I did very much like it. I have high expectations about what to expect from the next two movies but the Godfather is certainly in my top 10.

No comments: