July 09, 2012

The Amazing Spider Man (2012)

It’s weird to think that just five years after the last spiderman film, that we should get or need a reboot. But that’s what we have in this film with Andrew Garfield taking over from Toby Maguire in the lead role. I must admit that I prefer Garfield to Maguire because I think that Garfield did the vulnerable and wimpy person thing much better than Maguire ever did. I also thought that the main problem with Spiderman 3 was that there were too many baddies which just got in the way. In this film all we have is the lizard guy played by Rhys Ifans.
It was good how somethings that were in the first Spiderman in 2002 were used in this film but in a slightly different way. I thought that the way that Parker’s uncle (played brilliantly by Martin Sheen) was far more believeable. It was a shame when Sheen was written out as I am a huge fan of his and thought that he brought something to the story. Sally Field surprised me as the only other thing I saw her in was in Mrs Doubtfire (1993). She was very good as Aunt May and was even better in the scenes after Sheen left. I thought Emma Stone was quite good as Gwen Stacey. I thought that Stone was a far better love interest for Parker than Kirsten Dunst.
The film could have done with being about 15-20 minutes shorter but on the whole I found The Amazing Spiderman to be quite good. Much better than I thought it was going to be. I think Garfield is a very good Peter Parker and have high hopes for the future. On a side note I saw this film in 2D as opposed to 3D and I don’t for a second think I missed anything.
Rating – 7/10

No comments: