May 15, 2012

Marvel Avengers Assemble (2012)

There was a fair amount of hype around this film. Recently it had taken $1 billion and I thought that despite not having seen any of the other films beforehand, that I would not only see this film but see it in 3D. I had pretty much given up on 3D after wasting my time on Transformers 3. I was also worried about whether I would have missed anything from not having seen Captain America, Thor or Iron Man.

I found the film thoroughly entertaining and the first time in a long time that I enjoyed a big blockbuster since.... I cant remember. I was impressed with how it managed to keep itself together and it also felt like everyone got the same amount of screentime. I didnt feel like I was missing out by not watching the other films. I thought that Robert Downy Jr was good but for me the standout actor/character was Mark Ruffalo as Eric Bana/Hulk. I do question whether Scarlett Johanson was relevant to the story. It seemed like the only purpose she served was to be squeezed into a lycra catsuit but that's not necersarily a bad thing.

If there is a Marvel Avengers 2 film then hopefully they will call it something better because Avengers Assemble is a rubbish title. We got this as opposed to just The Avengers because when you say Avengers to anyone in Britain they think John Steed and Cathy Gale and would think that this is a big film with those two but get Scarlett Johanson, easy mistake to make I suppose. I did like this film and thought that it shows that John Carter (of Mars) is the exception rather than the rule that you can spend $220 million and still make a stonking good movie. 

No comments: