April 07, 2012

True Grit (2010)

I wasn’t wild about the original version and I was hoping that this remake would satisfy the disappointment that I felt when I watched the John Wayne version. I have to say that I think that this remake is 110% BETTER than the 1969 version. Firstly Hailee Steinfeld is brilliant and considering its her first role is astonishing. I also thought that the story was better told than the 1969 version as the Coen Brothers have done wonders with this story and there are classic Coen things in it such as characters that make brief appearances yet are instantly funny and every scene is truly wonderful. Like No Country for Old Men, there are some visually stunning scenes and everyone in the film deserves to be there.

Jeff Bridges is better than John Wayne but I just couldn’t understand him half the time and had to stick the subtitles on. It was only then that I could make sense of what he was saying. He was very good though. Matt Damon and Josh Brolin are also very good and they are also better than their originals. However it is Hailee who steals the film and is far more beleiveable in the role than Kim Darby.

This is possibly in my top three of films of most recent films and it just falls short of No Country which isn’t a bad thing. The Coen Brothers are great film makers and now what it takes to make a great film.

No comments: