December 31, 2011

Mission Impossible 3 (2006)

It’s been a long time since I had seen the last Mission Impossible film which I have to admit was rubbish. People complained that the first one was too difficult but then they went totally the other way for number two. This one seemed a lot better partly because it was co-written and directed by JJ Abrams who has done stuff like Lost and was involved in Cloverfield. The fourth film is currently out in cinemas and I may watch it soon.

The baddie in this is Philip Seymour Hoffman who is a very good actor but remarkably I haven’t seen him in a movie to my knowledge since Twister. The scenes that he and Tom Cruise have together are very good and the best was the very first one that turned out to be towards the end was the biggest reminder of the difference between film 2 and 3. The only problem that I had with the film was how they ended Hoffman’s character. It just seemed like a tag on at the very end and wasn’t worthy of the actor or character. It’s good to see Tom Cruise on good form again. I haven’t seen a lot of the films that he has been in recently because they just look terrible but this was different and some of the stunts he did looked truly spectacular and the one where he bounces onto the car looked painful.

I liked the film so much that at one point I turned to my friend and said that the second half of the film would have to be spectacularly bad to make this worse that number two. Even the introduction of the wife didn’t do anything to dapen my enjoyment of the story. The story was straight forward and it looked like they had found a suitable middle ground between the previous films and remembered that it wasn’t or shouldn’t try and compete with the Bond films or the Bourne one and in this film despite a few moments it remembered what it was.

Mission Impossible 3 is a very good film and I feel a lot more positively about number four than I did previously.

No comments: